outlier design is the alter ego of Holly Bobula, an award-winning designer with national & international recognition including: Creativity International Awards 2012 & 2015, AAF-Madison 2015 ADDYs Judge’s Choice, HOW 2008 Promotion Design Awards, 3 District 8 ADDYs, 14 local ADDYs, and publication in No Plastic Sleeves: The Complete Portfolio Guide for Photographers and Designers.
Some design-related quotes which reflect my ethos, as a person, and by extension,
as a commercial artist:
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.”
— Shaker philosophy
“Minimalism is not a lack of something. It’s simply the perfect amount of something.”
“If you can’t solve a problem, it’s because you’re playing by the rules.”
“When the light turns green, you go.
When the light turns red, you stop.
But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?”
“The word ‘studio’ is derived from ‘study’. Our object is not to know the answers before we do the work. It’s to know them after we do it.”
“If it can be done, we’ll do it. If it can’t be done, we’ll still do it. If it really can’t be done (because of science), we’ll go down fighting.”
Get in touch
You will love working with outlier design if…
- You and your offerings are unusual/quirky and you need someone who can create stunning, spectacularly creative work that’s as different as you are (but never too different).
- You have an appreciation for beauty (proportion, typography, color, etc.) and understand the value of good design.
- You need a designer capable of doing conceptually-driven work.
- Your project demands both phenomenal creativity and tremendous attention to detail.
- You are an individual / small business / nonprofit, especially in the arts and sciences, health professions, academia, etc. I have a lot of experience with—and work wonderfully with—those whose work involves improving and enriching others’ lives.
I am no longer taking on website work, but I’d love to hear from you about your design or illustration project.
Don’t hold back! Contact me today to discuss your project.